CoViD-19 Rules for Using the Library!
The library is now open at reduced capacity as of July 13, 2020.
Please be sure to bring your library card if you need to enter the building.
Anyone who has a fever, cough, chills or is otherwise not feeling well or who are self- quarantining should not visit the library. When entering and for your entire time inside the library, all patrons ages 2 and up, must be wearing a face covering. Face coverings that completely cover the mouth and nose are required and mandatory. Masks, bandanas or scarves are acceptable. Hands, shirts, or other clothing are not acceptable face coverings. Kindly sanitize hands upon entry. Here are the things you need to know about what to expect from your library experience.
Safety Measures and Basic Operations:
- Vinyl gloves are now available to the patrons who want to browse books in our collection (as of March 30, 2021). The gloves provided by the library must be worn while browsing books in the library's collection and discarded when patrons leave the building.
- Only Belleville Public Library card holders will be admitted into the building. You must present your card physically in order to enter.
- As of March 30, 2021 the library is admitting patrons from libraries in the REBL system. You must have a current 2021 REBL label on your card from your home library.
- Throughout each day we will allow up to 35 people into the building at any given time. (Effective 7/2/2020 until further notice by the Governor's Executive Order).
- Patrons will only be allowed in the building once for up to a maximum of one (1) hour per day.
- If you need to wait outside, form a line along Academy Street.
- Our temporary hours of operation will be 10:00am - 4:00pm on Monday thru Fridays.
- The Teen Center will remain closed until further notice.
The Children’s Department will be limited to two families at a time. Call ahead for additional information (973-450-3434) or check our website for the most up to date hours as they may expand or be reduced.
- All materials must be returned using our outdoor Book Drop on Washington Ave.
- Children under the age of 13 must be directly supervised by their parent or guardian at all times inside the building.
- Notary Services have been suspended.
- You will notice antibacterial keyboard covers, and mouse and laptop sleeves. Please properly dispose of items in wastebaskets and not on library grounds after use.
- The building will be cleaned throughout the day and deeply sanitized before opening each day. At any point throughout the day, patrons may be instructed to vacate the building or a particular area so that library staff can clean and disinfect.
- Please observe the social distance of six feet between you and the staff and you and your fellow patrons.
- Our bathrooms will follow capacity restrictions. The Second Floor restroom will be permanently closed. Please remember to wash your hands!
- Doors will be locked and patrons will not be admitted to the building 15 minutes before closing.
Reduced Contact Options:
- Because we need to limit the number of patrons that will be allowed inside the library at any time; calling (973-450-3434) or live chatting (www.bellepl.org) with us are recommended before you and your family visit. This gives us the opportunity to expedite some services before your arrival.
- Email email@example.com for help with our online services or book requests.
- You can apply for a library card online, view your account and renew your items all without a visit to the library using our website and online catalog.
- We encourage you to continue attending our fantastic virtual programs, using our e- materials and our online databases.
- If you are not yet comfortable visiting the library and you have items that need to be returned or delivered, please contact us and we can assist you. The Book Drop on Washington Ave. is open and the curbside pickup is available. Please let us know in advance if you will be sending someone in your place to pick up your items.
- No fines will be charged for late items however we will continue to bill for lost items. Items being returned will be quarantined for 72 hours so you will not see your returned item come off your card immediately. You can check your account here: https://belleville.polarislibrary.com/logon.aspx.
During Your Visit:
- Inter Library Loan (ILL) which allows us to borrow from and send to other libraries is available with those libraries willing to participate.
- Browsing the collection in the library has been reopenned. Please seek the assistance of library staff for materials you are interested in and make use of our online catalog (http://catalog.bellepl.org) or call to arrange for curbside pickup.
- The library is limited to only the most essential services: Use of public PC’s in the adult area, reference questions, picking up books and materials, addressing issues related to library membership, fines, fees, etc.
- There will be fewer computers available due to spacing requirements. Therefore, computers can only be used once per day for 1 hour. There will be no extensions.
- Adult’s and Children’s programs will only be offered virtually for the foreseeable future. We have programs available online. Sign-Up for our e-newsletter or check our website (All programs will be conducted online). Please check the library’s Facebook page and website (www.bellepl.org) for information on individual programs and activities.
Books must be requested and confirmed in advance via our chat service or by placing a hold through our online catalog. Please do not come to the library unless you have been confirmed for a pickup time.
We apologize for the inconvenience and ask that you help us follow these Social Distancing measures to protect you and your families.
The Schedule for "Curbside Pickup" is as follows:
|Monday||10:00am - 4:00pm|
|Tuesday||10:00am - 4:00pm|
|Wednesday||10:00am - 4:00pm|
|Thursday||10:00am - 4:00pm|
|Friday||10:00am - 4:00pm|
Books will be set aside in the foyer on Washington Avenue entrance for patrons to pickup according to their appointed times. We are currently limiting the number of items that can be borrowed at one time to three.
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you real soon! Be safe!